Friday, October 5, 2012

Ahhh Zombies

I just finished my first night as the lead tech on my ambulance and I am exhausted...you could even say I feel like a zombie.  Speaking of zombies (did you like how I did that there) I would like to offer you a list of zombie books I have either read, or want to read so that we can all have a very zombie October.
The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead
The Zombie Survival Guide-This one stays by our bed and a new survival technique is faithfully read and discussed most nights.  Because you never know when that zombie is going to burst through your bedroom door, I think my favorite piece of advice from this books is "blades don't need reloading".  Totally random aside, whenever we go to restaurants (especially the fancy ones) my Hubbin always asks our waiter where the back door is in case of a zombie attack.  I love the reactions we get everything from looks of disdain, to servers who will sit down and help us detail a plan of attack.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
World War Z- This is on my to read list, the format looks awesome!  An oral history of a what-if war with zombies, "first-hand" accounts, and Brad Pitt in the movie...Yes Please!  One of the best recommendations I have heard for this book, is even people who don't like zombie stories (yes those poor souls do exist) really enjoyed this book.

Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy Series #1)
Newsflesh Trilogy- I have started the first book in this trilogy and I already like it. The premise of this series is that the zombies have already been around for a while and people have learned to live with them, not in your typical post-disaster way.  It is a look at how humanity can always find some sense of normalcy given enough time. The two main characters are a brother/sister duo of news bloggers who follow the rabbit trail to uncover all kinds of creepy cool conspiracies.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies-What can I say, I adore this book.  I don't know if it is how the author was very careful to keep the whole original story intact.  Maybe it was the seamless integration of zombies that made you forget that they were not in the original book.  Mostly I think I like it so much because it is such a well-done effort at respectfully poking fun of both the romantic Austin genre and the zombie horror genre, that never degenerates into doing something shocking just for shocks sake.

Zombies vs. Unicorns
Zombies vs Unicorns-This one is perfect if you prefer your zombies in bite sized little young adult pieces. Also if you get scared of zombies you can always switch over to unicorns.  A lot of great stories from a lot of great authors and the commentary between stories really ties it all together in a very humorous way.

What is your favorite zombie book?  Do you prefer the classic George Romero style shuffling zombie, or do you like your zombie a bit more complex?  What type of books do you think zombies like to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment