Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Happily Ever After My A**

Please welcome a guest blogger today, the incomparable Bee! (all names have been changed to protect the guilty...I mean innocent :-)  )

When my sister asked me to write a guest spot on her blog I wanted to be funny or witty. Then I realized I am neither of those things. Therefore I will do what I do best, which is write about some injustice and jabber on until it is beaten into submission and lying on the ground :) by the way... You may call me Bee

Happily Ever my A**
I,just like most girls growing up, watched and read princess "adventures" about getting a husband. That's right, when you break it down that is what it is always about. They don't have one when it starts, and in the end they are only happy because they found a man to complete their lives
What A Disney Princess Teaches a Girl
I believe that's this concept has bleed into almost all books directed toward the female gender. It is very hard to find a plot that doesn't involve a boy/man that at some crucial point saves the day, or that they fall in love. Even books that are all about girl power still have to involve a love interest i.e. The Hunger Games, Graceling, Uglies series. I am not saying that we don't enjoy digging into a good love story that makes us all warm and fuzzy, but I think it is high time that authors get with it, and find new threads to string their stories together. I think the problem with all of these stories, is that we grow up thinking that a man will make everything better, instead of being strong independent thinkers. Because even the best boyfriend/husbands screw up, and when you need to learn how to deal with life!!! And for that matter, it is no wonder that marriages don't last, because we don't know how to be a complete whole person before diving into things..hmm I seem to have gone on a tangent (I do that a lot)

I realize this post gone on too long. The bottom line is that fairy tale endings are fine and fun to read, just make sure to supplement with something else to balance out your brain. If you made it through this, thank you.
Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment