Friday, May 11, 2012

Yay for the Mamma's!

As I was doing some research for today's Mothers Day post, I noticed something odd...Mom's don't come off to well in stories.  The vast majority of older fairy tales have an absent mother (usually dead) and if your a step-mother you fare even worse!!!  In more modern stories the mom is usually absent in an entirely different way, either divorced, left the family, or distant.  I'm not sure if all of these writers had sever Mom issue's or they feel that a story just isn't as exciting with a mothers (or mother figure) loving touch.  So to combat this motherless literary world I have compiled a list of some of my favorite literary mother figures.

 Marmee from Little Women is probably one of the warmest, loving, involved mothers in literature.  She encouraged her daughters to be smart, strong, independent and loving all while taking care of a household and paying the bills while her husband was off to war.  This is one of the few times in a"classic" book that the mother who is "blessed" with all daughters isn't pushing to marry them all off to the richest man they can find.  She is one good Mamma.

Molly Weasly from the Harry Potter series is one of my favorite moms in recent reading.  She can turn from sweet, comfortable, cleaning, cooking housewife and mother to a ferocious she-bear protecting all of those she loves so very much.  Her love and acceptance goes beyond her immediate family to include anybody who may be in need of some major TLC.  Mrs. Weasly is proof that being "just" a mom and housewife is a really untrue statement and it is one of the most important jobs out there (the other being a good Daddy of course...but we'll save that for June)
 Marilla from the Anne of Green Gables series is an example of a reluctant mother figure.  She starts out almost the villain for wanting a little boy instead of Anne, but before we are a couple chapters in Marilla begrudgingly gives this odd little girl a home and by the time the book and series are over they are as close and loving as any natural mother and daughter could be.  I always love the stories where somebody has to choose to love, it always feels so special to me.  The contrast between flight, dreamy Anne, and the stoic, responsible Marilla really makes this relationship special and highly entertaining.

Mrs. Bennet from Pride and Prejudice makes me laugh every time I read her. She may not be the shining example of...well...anything.  She does however have one virtue that I feel places her in the good mother category.  She love her children no matter what.  Mrs. Bennet will blindly defend her girls, even when they do "unspeakable" things she is always there to love them and find the silver lining.  I feel this unconditional love is a very important part of being a parent and that is why this ridiculous mother is on the list...also it's my list and I can put whoever I want on it teeheehee.


 Mandy from Ella Enchanted takes on the mother figure role after Ella's beloved mother dies.  Mandy may not be able to control the circumstances that lead to some of Ella's bad times, but she is always there to lend an ear, a shoulder to cry on, and just enough magic to make her life bearable.  Mandy always tries to to what is best for Ella, even in the confined role of the cook with no real social power.  This is a great example of how a little love and kindness can go a long way towards making somebodies life better, even if you are not their "real" mom.

Hopefully these examples have restored your faith in motherhood and reminded you of how important a good "mom" can be.  On that note I have to take a moment to tell my own Mamma how wonderful and amazing she is, she embodies almost all of the traits of a good mom (just gotta work on that cooking...I kid...I kid).  She is my best friend, she has and continues to make my life wonderful.  She has taught me the joy of life and for that I can never thank her enough!  Also shout out to my Sis M, Sis E, and Mamma Jimenez for all being amazing mothers in my life, you guys ROCK!!!!

What literary mother figures are your favorite?  What mother figure in your life has inspired you?  How do you get your mother figure to realize you've grown up and now you can choose your own bedtime?!?


1 comment:

  1. As Nikhia's mommy I would like to say that introducing her to reading and the library was a very important time in our lives. We had very little money for vacations,movies etc but they(the kids) could take an adventure anytime they choose to open a book. I enjoy reading her posts and how reading has continued to give her adventure even though there is so much out there that could take her time. Love ya mom

    ReplyDelete