Thursday, May 17, 2012

I Just Can't Quit You

I've noticed something about my reading habits, no matter how many new books are in my stack, and no matter how excited I am to read them...I will abandon them all in favor of an old favorite.  Anybody who follows my little "what I'm reading now list" probably will always see at least one re-read in there.  Now since I read multiple books at once I am still reading more new books then I am re-reading old ones, but still.  I'm not sure why I re-read so many of my books, I know a lot of people who read a book once and then give it away, in fact people are trying to get me to donate my books all of the time.  I have absolutely nothing against the idea, in fact if you are not a book re-reader I would strongly encourage you to share with anybody and everybody, but I actually do re-read almost all of my books at some point.  I notice if I read a book I don't particularly like,or I thought 
could have been better, I will re-read a book in that genre I know is good to balance it out, or if a new book in  series comes out and it's been a while since I've read the earlier ones I will usually re-read those (I'm looking at you Eragon). Others like Pride and Prejudice are seasonal favorites that must be read per tradition...just like having turkey at Thanksgiving, you have it every year and love it every time.  Some books like The Chronicles of Narnia or Little House On the Prairie are comfort books, just like eating a big bowl of gooey mac and cheese, it just makes you feel good. In the end I guess a new book is like going to a club, you check out the cool cover, hear good things about it, you're anxious to make a new friend and really hope you like it, but there is still the risk of the unknown, will this be a drunken one night stand you regret in the morning and hope nobody ever see's it on your book shelf? Will you 
   have to force yourself through the book only to spare its feelings?  Or will it become one of your beloved friends destined to be re-read even when you have new books waiting?  And that my friends is the appeal of a book you already know, it is like hanging out with a good friend, sure you will probably talk about the same things over and over again, and you know what their reaction to everything is, but you love them for it and that is why you will always go back.

Do you re-read books? What is your favorite re-read?  Do you totally want to go to the club and watch the books make awkward small talk on the dance floor? 

2 comments:

  1. In this weird way I think I might prefer re-reading books I love to reading anything new. There's just something so gratifying about finding out interesting little details and foreshadowings that you never noticed before.

    I re-read "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams almost every year. Sometimes I continue on with the rest of the series, sometimes I don't. Doesn't matter. Dragonbone is probably the best book I have ever read. I can honestly say that I have been a different person since the day I opened that cover. It's nice to be able to re-live that feeling, even though it will never be quite the same every again.

    I have been trying to find that feeling again for about 10 years now. *sigh*

    Williams is a god.

    // www.thebookaweekproject.com //

    ReplyDelete