Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Storm Of WTF!

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT
Just in case you're wondering I will be spilling all kinds of secrets about A Storm of Swords so if you haven't read it yet, or don't want to know big secrets before you watch the TV show then STOP RIGHT NOW!

Ok so I'm assuming everybody who is reading has either read the book, or just can't stand not knowing so here we go off to Spoilerville.
 This so far is my favorite book in the series of A Song of Ice and Fire.  I have heard that from a lot of people so I am apparently in good company.  I'm not going to rehash the book like I normally do because A) Those posts get extremely long and this is a really long book and B) There just so much going on I don't think I could put it together in a coherent post (not that my post are known for coherency anyways).  So pretty much I'm going to ramble about the moments in the book that made me holler things out loud at completely inappropriate times.So the biggest thing about this book is how many people end up dead...which really shouldn't surprise me considering that is kind of what these books are known for, but part of what I love about the writing is how I am still caught of guard by the crazy turns the story takes.  On to the body count.  The biggest deaths to me were Robb and Catelyn Stark, yep they are killing of the poor Stark clan in droves.  Looking back I should have seen it coming, but again the writing does a great job of misdirection. The deaths are actually foreshadowed back in A Clash of Kings when Daenerys goes into the House of the Undead.  Let's see who else, Oh yes a death we can all get behind, the brat king Joffery Lannister was taken down by some poisoned wine at his wedding to Margeary Tyrell (I've got to keep checking the spelling of these names, if I screw them up, please don't kill me!) I think I may have actually cheered.  Tywin Lannister also gets taken out...on the pot no less and crazy lady Lysa meets her end through the moon door. Oh yeah and Yigrette gets killed as well :-( I liked that girl. 
Moving on to less deadly reveals.  The reveal that was the biggest twist to me was finding out that Lysa killed Jon Aryn, yep crazy lady Lysa killed her husband and blamed it on the Lannisters all to get Peter "Littlefinger" Balish to marry her. So pretty much 2/3 of this series is set into motion by a crazy lady who couldn't get over a childhood crush.  Sansa Stark gets married off to Tyrion Lannister who in turn gets accused of murdering his nephew and then goes ahead and kills his father.  Arya and the Hound end up traveling together for a time (some great scenes there) before she heads of to Braavos.  Daenerys takes on the slave cities and does a pretty good job of it all while finding out Jorah Mormont is/was actually the spy keeping Kings Landing informed of her doings.  Stannis continues to follow Melisandre and the Lord of Light, but redeems himself slightly by being the only "king" to go help defend the wall against the wildlings and eventually things much worse.  Sam steps it up and ends up as a protector to the wildling Gilly and her baby.  Jon makes it back to the wall in time to help defend it, get accused of treason, then voted in as commander.  Sansa gets spirited away by Littlefinger.  Theon continues his bumbling ways.  Jaime makes a weird friendship in the form of Brienne the manly woman knight, oh and Jaime loses a hand. Bran and Rickon continue there mysterious whatever they are doing.  Hmmm I think that about sums up this giant tome of craziness.
I loved the book, took me a while to get through it, but it was totally worth it.  The writing remains high quality and interesting, and so far I have been able to keep track of most of the story lines and characters.  As long as the writing stays at this level I am in it for the duration of the series.
What did you think of this book?  Who else could they possibly kill off? (wait don't answer that, most of my favorites are still alive) What did you think of the reveals?  Are you watching the TV show? How long can a rambling post get?

No comments:

Post a Comment