Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Longest Day Of The Year

Today is the longest day of year, and in celebration my area apparently decided to give the lovely gift of a heat wave in the form of triple digits and humidity (in case you were wondering I am NOT a happy camper, I hate humidity and not a fan of weather over 80 degrees).  But to celebrate that it can only get cooler from here...right...somebody tell me I'm right, I have gathered a few books to read in a nice air conditioned room with a big glass of raspberry lemonade.  Here are some books that give us some history and how people celebrate through out the world and through out time the Summer Solstice (Sorry about the complete lack of coherency and horrific sentence structure, my brain is melting).
The Longest Day
A quick look at the science and cultural traditions behind the longest day of the year
Summer Solstice
This book gives you a glimpse of holidays and traditions that are no longer widely celebrated
The End of the World
A few stories that involving the Summer Solstice

What are you going to do with your longest day of the year?  Do you use it as an excuse to stay up that much later to read? Are you glad to get some heat or do you pray for a cold front?

No comments:

Post a Comment