Friday, June 22, 2012

Kitty Cat Q's

In full on nostalgia mode today, remembering school free summer days and my mom taking us to the library to fill up on books.  I always loved the whoosh of the air conditioner as we came in from out of the sun and into the high ceiling  window filled main room.  One of my favorite series during that era (and is still being reread to this day) is the Ramona Quimby books by Beverly Cleary.  I was always a Beverly Cleary fan when I was younger, but these books are still my favorites.
My Favorite Ramona Illustration
 I'm not sure what endears me to this spunky little spitfire, it may be because I always imagine that is what my Mamma may have been like when she was growing up, or maybe I relate to some of the way she see's things in a weird quirky light.  I love watching this character grow from a bratty little preschooler in Beezus and Ramona all the way to a more mature and thoughtful 4th grader in Ramona's World.  This series of books is unique in that Ramona lives with her whole family, who are portrayed in one of the most realistic ways I have ever seen.  Nothing major ever happens, no magical wardrobes, no exploding volcano's, no mutant zombie plagues, but it reminds you that when you are young and trying to grow up that the littlest thing at the time seems like the end of the world.  Some of my favorite scenes from each of the books.

 Beezus and Ramona-This is one of my favorites in the series because I can relate to being an older sister.  I love the apple scene where Ramona takes one bite out of every apple in a crate because "the first bite is always the best".  Ramona invites her friends over for an impromptu party...without telling anyone else.  Ramona "writes" her name in her favorite library book so she can keep it (I relate to that one)

Ramona the Pest- This is the first book to focus solely on Ramona.  She starts kindergarten and learns to write her name including her last name which she makes the Q into a kitty cat.  She meets a girl Susan with curls that she just can't resist boinging (now every time I see a person with curls I want to boing them). She gets her prized new boots stuck in the mud after being rescued by Henry.

Ramona the Brave-Here we find Ramona moving on the first grade.  Ramona comes to Beezus' defense in the form of a lecture to her sisters friends, which embarrasses Beezus greatly.  Ramona's mother gets a part-time job.  The Quimby's start an expansion project on the house which has some great unintended consequences for Ramona.  In a fit of rage Ramona destroys both her and her nemesis Susan's paper bag owls.

Ramona and Her Father-Ramona is now into the second grade.  Ramona's mother starts working full time bringing home the realities of a two-income household just to make ends meet.  Her mother tells the girls they need to try and not do anything to upset there there father so Ramona crosses almost everything off her Christmas list.  The pajama sheep costume debacle made me laugh my head off.

Ramona and Her Mother-Another of my favorites in this series.  Ramona is stuck in that stage of being to old to be a little kid, but not old enough to be included in with the older crowd.  Ramona gives young Willa Jean a box of tissues to play with so she doesn't have to share her toys.  An argument between her parent over dinner scares her.  Ramona gets a new haircut that makes her feel grown up (and I wanted a pixie cut for years...even though I didn't know what that was).  She squeezes an entire tube of toothpaste into the sink in a rebellious snit.

Ramona Quimby Age 8- Ramona's dad goes back to college. She gets to take a bus to a new school where she is one of the older kids which makes her feel important.  She loves Sustained Silent Reading time, but is still stuck at the Kemps everyday after school helping to entertain Willa-Jean.

Ramona Forever-In this book Ramona experiences a lot of change.  Ramona is allowed to stay home with Beezus instead of being babysat at the Kemps.  Her aunt gets married to Howie's uncle Hobart.  A new baby is born leading to all kinds of fun.

Ramona's World-This book was written later then the previous books.  Ramona starts fourth grade and makes a new friend Daisy.  She finds she is enjoying being a big sister.  Beezus learns French and Ramona has her zero teenth (10th) birthday.

Did you read these growing up?  Which character do you like the best?  Do you have the urge to make toothpaste castles now?

No comments:

Post a Comment