Friday, April 27, 2012

Quoth The Owl "Pottermore"


Cool new multi-media thing going on in the Harry Potter world.  A site called Pottermore is finally open to the public.  It is a combination of an interactive book and a bit of a social media site.  I have been through the site and have to admit it's a pretty nifty place for us Potter addicts. The main part of the site is a shortened version of the books with 2 to 4 interactive scenes per chapter.  While you can get the gist of the story from the brief phrases that accompany each scene, you will be much less confused if you have actually read the books.  The site suggests reading the book along with the interactive one for the best experience.
Throughout the book, you unlock other things to do as well, such as getting your wand, obtaining a Gringotts account, buying school supplies and selecting your pet/icon (mine is a Tawny Owl).  You eventually get sorted into a house, learn to cast spells and brew potions.  You can collect various objects through out the chapters such as books, Galleons, potion components and random objects.  My favorite part is the new content that J.K Rowling has put in for us to unlock.  It is either new information about characters and places that never made it into the book, or her own personal inspirations for certain things (like why she has the Dursley's address as  Number 4 Privet Drive).
The more social aspect of it comes in after you have been sorted into your house (I'm in Slytherin), obtained a wand(12 inch Sycamore with a Dragon Heartstring, surprisingly flexible) and learned the art of brewing potions.  Once you have accomplished all this you can participate in wizarding duels with other houses (I have yet to win one), brew potions (would be a lot more fun if it didn't take so long, then not work if you can't get right back to it) and gain house points by finding various objects throughout the scenes.  As of right now only Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone is available, the other 6 books should be out later.  This kind of sucks because once you have finished the book (which really didn't take me that long) there is not a whole lot to do other then brew potions and duel, neither of which for me hold my interest for all that long.  Overall I think it is a fun little site, that can only improve as long as they stay on top of it.  I will probably pop back and check in on it as least once a week or so, and the extra content is definitely worth checking out.

What do you think of interactive sites for books?  Does it promote reading or is it just another excuse to zone out on a computer game?  What house/pet/wand do you have?  Isn't it great that you are never to old for Harry Potter?

2 comments:

  1. I am GobletHowl10170 come and find me in the game. I is very slow on the ipad so I will try it on the computer to see if it works any better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am BronzeHazel25146, I sent you a request Kim, anybody else who wants to join the SuperBookWormGirl group just give me your player name and I will join ya :-)

    ReplyDelete