Tuesday, April 3, 2012

In "Quotes"

Do you ever read something in a book and it just sticks with you?  Sometimes it is a quote, or an image, or the way something sounds that will always instantly put me right into the middle of that book.  Here are some of my favorites.

"Once a King or Queen in Narnia, Always a King or Queen"-The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

"My dear Lucy, I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books.  As a result you were already to old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still.  But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." - Dedication for The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

"I am afraid it would not do," said Peter very gravely. "Some humans are afraid of mice—"
"I have observed it, Sire," said Reepicheep.
"And it would not be quite fair to Miraz," Peter continued, "to have in sight anything that might abate the edge of his courage."
"Your Majesty is the mirror of honour," said the Mouse with one of his admirable bows.- Prince Caspian

"They were cures for warts (by washing your hands in moonlight in a silver basin) and toothache and cramp, and a spell for taking a swarm of bees. The picture of the man with toothache was so lifelike that it would have set your own teeth aching if you looked at it too long, and the golden bees which were dotted all round the fourth spell looked for a moment as if they were really flying. ... And the longer she read the more wonderful and more real the pictures became." - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

"Make your choice, adventurous Stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger,
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had." -The Magicians Nephew

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." - Pride and Prejudice

"Your conjecture is totally wrong, I assure you. My mind was more agreeably engaged. I have been meditating on the very great pleasure which a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman can bestow."-Pride and Prejudice

t is always incomprehensible to a man that a woman should ever refuse an offer of marriage. A man always imagines a woman to be ready for anybody who asks her.-Emma

'This boy will be famous, a legend. I wouldn't be surprised if today was known as Harry Potter day in future. There will be books written about Harry, every child in our world will know his name.'-Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone

"Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you." -Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone

'Hearing voices no one else can hear isn't a good sign, even in the wizarding world.'-Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." -Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

"If I thought I could help you by putting you into an enchanted sleep and allowing you to postpone the moment when you would have to think about what has happened tonight, I would do it. But I know better. Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it. You have shown bravery beyond anything I could have expected of you. I ask you to demonstrate your courage one more time. I ask you to tell us what happened" - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

"Dumbledore says people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

"After all this time?" "Always." - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

"So many out-of-the-way things had happened lately, that Alice had begun to think that very few things indeed were really impossible." - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

"Curiouser and curiouser!"- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

'Why is a raven like a writing-desk?'-Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" - The Fellowship of the Ring

"As Frodo prepared to follow him, he laid his hand upon the tree beside the ladder: never before had he been so suddenly and so keenly aware of the feel and texture of a tree’s skin and of the life within it. He felt a delight in wood and the touch of it, neither as forester nor as carpenter; it was the delight of the living tree itself." -The Fellowship of the Ring

"My name is growing all the time, and I've lived a very long, long time; so my name is like a story. Real names tell you the story of the things they belong to in my language, in the Old Entish as you might say. It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time to say anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - The Two Towers

'What do you fear, lady?' he [Aragorn] asked.
'A cage,' she [Eowyn] said. 'To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'- The Return of the King

Okay so this is turning into a really long post so I shall save some of my other favorites for another time.

What are some of your favorite quotes?  What image has stuck with you since you first read it?  How many of these do you think I can tattoo on myself?





No comments:

Post a Comment