Monday, April 23, 2012

Amelia Bedelia


A little nostalgia for all of us old folks :-)  Amelia Bedelia books used to be my absolute favorite books growing up. My siblings knew if they wanted me to read a book to them, pick Amelia Bedelia and chances are I would agree.  These books about a quirky literal-minded housekeeper (who later took on roles as wedding shower planner, teacher, band member and so forth) was my first introduction into puns.  The illustrations match the stories perfectly and I never could wait to see the expressions on the various peoples faces when they got to experience a literal quirk of Ms Bedelia.  The main premise is Amelia Bedelia is usually left with a list of directions and tasks she needs to finish, which she tends to interpret quit literally.
 For instance one of her directions is to draw the drapes when the afternoon sun comes in the windows, she draws them on a large canvas and sets up the drawing in the living room. She makes a date cake by cutting up dates from a calendar and gives the bride an actual shower. She always has good intentions and can usually make up for her oddness by her fabulous baking skill.  I really love these books :-)

What is your favorite Amelia Bedelia book?  Do you know anybody this literal minded?  Would you keep a housekeeper like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment