Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Getting Down with Downton Abby

I like so many of you am obsessed with Downton Abbey and have been trying to figure out a way to write a post about it on my blog.  Hubby says it's my blog and I can write what I want, but I have been trying really hard to keep it literary centered.  Now though I have the perfect excuse... Downtown Abbey Books!!!!!
The Real Downton Abbey
This book is the story of Lady Almina and Highclere Castle which is the iconic building where Downton Abbey is filmed.  This book shows what was really going on during this era and tells a great real-life story.
The World of Downton Abbey
This book is a mix of behind the scenes of the show and little tidbits of history and a ton of amazing photos.

The show itself is extremely addicting. I stumbled upon it one sick day and was hooked.  It is set in England, and the timing is set by the mention of the recent sinking of the Titanic, which resulted in the death of the heir to Downton Abbey.  This pretty much sets of the whole series, which includes the aristocratic"upstairs" and the serving class "downstairs".  The show follows the Crawly family, friends, servants, enemies and so forth through many trials and tribulations and joys, some huge such as WWI, some of the more minor domestic sort.  I think what really makes it enjoyable for me is the unique time period (WWI era) which I have not seen a lot of.  It was a period of a lot of change in England, where the upper crust had to learn to see other classes as more equal then before, where servants were employees with rights and not paid slaves.  Gender roles were changing, class roles and the lines separating them were changing all in all a very exciting time period.  The show really brings all the change home by showing us stories about every kind of folk, not just the Crawly family, but there servants as well to really give us many perspectives on any given issue. I highly recommend this to pretty much everybody, and if a novelization ever comes out I will be the first in line to read it.  Also Maggie Smith ROCKS!!!!!
Who else here is obsessed with this show?  Did I put enough of a literary spin on it to justify talking about it on a book blog?  Is Maggie Smith one of the most amazing actresses (not to mention comediac genius) out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment