Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Twelveish Day's of Christmas

Alright folks, I've held of as long as I could but there is no denying it any longer  IT'S CHRISTMAS EVE Eve eve eve eve etc...  I love love love love love the holidays so from now until the big day this blog will most probably be full of Christmas cheer!  This time of year has always been important to me, probably because of how much my parents put in to making sure we really understood the meaning and magic of it all.  I've been very luck that I married a guy that has been willing to ride along with all the crazy :-) 
So to start of the 12 or so day's of Christmas I thought we would look at some of the myriad of books dedicated to the song The Twelve Days of Christmas
I think one of my favorite things about this song is the many variations that can come from it.  I remember when we were younger, my Mamma would encourage us to come up with new words to the song, sometimes giving us themes like candy, or jobs, it was a lot of fun. ( Hey Mamma remember this?)
Four Kids with Croup
Three Ear Infections
Two Car Breakdowns
And 40 degrees below 0
Ah, memories of a Christmas trip to Montana in the dead of winter!!!!

 Another cool thing is that it can be illustrated and turned into so many stories, the following are a few of my favorite.


The Twelve Days of Christmas

The Twelve Days of Christmas in Washington DC

The Twelve Days of Christmas Mystery (Nook Book Short Story)


The Worst Twelve Days of Christmas

12 Days
There are seriously hundreds of different versions out there, so take some time and find your favorites.  Also a special request, there was a book I once read in middle school that I found at my local library that was a novel/short story based on the 12 days of Christmas about a guy who is continually giving gift to his "beloved" but as the song goes he actually brings every thing every day, so on the first day of Christmas he brings a partridge in a pear tree, on the second day he brings two calling birds AND a partridge in a pear tree, so by the end of the story the poor girl has 12 partridge in a pear tree's, 22 calling birds, 30 French hens and so forth.  I do not remember the name or the author and I cannot find it anywhere, special prize to whoever can tell me who where and what it is called and found!.

What is your favorite version of The Twelve Days of Christmas?  What is your favorite Christmas song?  What weird Christmas thing is special to your family?



No comments:

Post a Comment