Monday, December 5, 2011

Mmm Smells Good

This time of year always makes me want to attempt to use my wonderful kitchen, sometimes with disastrous results (The joke at our house is that my whole building knows when I'm cooking because I always set off the smoke detectors!)  I am also reminded that food plays a big part in a lot of my favorite books, sometimes even being one of the key elements, think Turkish Delight in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  Some books and series have so much food in them that there are actual (official and unofficial) cookbooks dedicated to them.  Here are a few of my favorite.

The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook

One of my favorite things in the Harry Potter Series is the food, everything from the proper English tea and scones to the amazing Cauldron Cakes and Chocolate frogs.  This cookbook give a ton of recipes both for the English food and tweaked recipes for some of the magical food as well.  Lots of great little blurbs about the books and the food, a must have for any Harry Potter fan.

The Little House Cookbook

The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder are full of food, and not just eating it.  In the frontier days growing, butchering, and preparing food was a huge part of life.  This cookbook offers recipes from daily bread to some of the more elaborate foods prepared for special events. Some great home cooking in this one

Narnia Cookbook

Recipes from the Chronicles of Narnia books, everything from Turkish Delight to Eel pie, also has little notes about the life of C.S. Lewis.  I want this so bad, unfortunately it is out of print, and the auction prices are insane, even for a book lover like me, but if anybody wants to send me one... :-)

These are but a few of the literary cookbooks out there, but they are my favorites.  I hope you take some time to enjoy a good cup of coffee, some really yummy cookies and a great book this week!

What books always make you hungry?  What literary cookbook is your favorite?  What is your favorite curl up with a good book snack?

No comments:

Post a Comment