Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Nutcracker

Ever since I was a little girl I have LOVED The Nutcracker, I love the book, the ballet, the music, the toy.  I have a huge collection of nutcrackers and love to add to them every year.

 I remember one year when I was in grade school wanting a nutcracker so bad, and when Christmas came lo and behold there was a nutcracker waiting for me under the tree, my pre-teen shrieks of joy are still a favorite story in our house. 
Most people know The Nutcracker as a ballet with the music by  Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky as some of most familiar out there.  With all of the adaptions, pretty costumes and parade of Christmas treats it is easy to see why it is such a tradition all over the world.

 I especially love when all the different treats from around the world come and do there different dances, the Arabian Coffee dance is always the best!

What a lot of people don't know is that the ballet is actually based on a book called The Nutcracker and The Mouse King by E. T. A. Hoffman.  The plot is much more focused on the how and why the Nutcracker came to be, and how to break the curse that is placed on him.

Nutcracker Backstage: The Story and the Magic is a very cool look at the whole process of bringing this traditional tale of imagination to life.


What is your favorite old Christmas Tradition?  What is the best adaption of the Nutcracker you have seen?  What is your favorite part of the Nutcracker?

No comments:

Post a Comment