Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Library Love

Some of my best memories growing up involve my local library.  When I was around 4-6years old the little local library was within walking distance and Mamma would pack us four kids up to a trip to the library.  Pretty soon our community outgrew our little library and they built us a big new shiny one just up the road.  For the rest of the time we lived in the area we would head to the library at least once a week.  My taste in books grew up there as I transitioned from picture books, to chapter books, to full grown adult variety.  The librarians knew us by name and knowing my propensity for out reading the library's supply of books for they would put aside new books that they thought I might like.  To this day every time I think of that wonderful place it puts a smile on my face.
Here are some cool libraries from around the country and a few from around the world!  I found most of these at

Heritage Preservation: Reconstructions: Ancient Alexandria; Copyright owner: Bibliotheca Alexandrina;
One of the first libraries in history (renovated obviously :-) )

George Peabody Library, main reading room
I could probably die happy here, of course I would need to add some comfy chairs and a coffee maker

Aerial View of the Rolex Learning Center;Copyright Owner, Public Domain
So cool like a library in space!

Beinecke Library, exterior; Obtained from Wikimedia (Outside)

(Inside)
I just love the inside/outside contrast of this one, kinda want to go see it in person

Langston Hughes Library, exterior; Copyright owner: Lin
Yep this is a real library chock full of books!

The Tower of the Five Orders, Bodleian Library, Oxford
This is always what first comes to mind when I think of a "proper" library

Library of Celsus, Ephesus, Turkey
So cool!

The Library of Congress, Washington, DC
Of course I had to include my current local library

Kent Library, Kent, Washington
And the library that started it all, my childhood library

Did you go to the library a lot growing up?  Was it a good library with lots of new books, or was it a treasure trove of forgotten titles?

No comments:

Post a Comment