Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Electronic Weird and Wonderful

I am kinda in a lull, I'm not quit ready to start Christmas yet, but I don't want to really get into any new/big projects either.  So I'm kind of just waiting around for the season to start and enjoying one of my favorite time wasters, e-book surfing.  I essentially go through the Kindle/Nook catalog looking through the free and cheap books seeing if there is anything new or unusual.  One of the things I mentioned in my e-reader post is the ability for new and upcoming authors to get there works out there.  This can be both a pro and a con as there are some amazing new authors, but there is are some that are not quit there yet.  Most of these new books are short, more of a novella length, but some are full sized.  They range from free to around $2.99 per book, which makes it pretty low risk.  I have found a few new writers that I am excited to watch for and a couple that I am glad I didn't pay much for.  I love exploring this new arena, I think it really gives a lot more freedom in concepts and ideas, not restricted by popular notions as much as a full on published, printed and bound book does.  I really hope these writers use the opportunity to really get some great stuff out there, and the ones who are not so successful the first time out should keep trying.
Here are a couple of books that are (or were at the time) only available as an e-book


To Kill A Warlock by H.P. Mallory was my first foray into the world of unknown e-books at only $0.99 it was a steal (it is now in print!)  I really really liked this one about a fairy detective, there a couple more in the series which are pretty good too!


One Night With the Fae by Claire Farrel is a story about a single night, each chapter told by a different character with a different perspective.  Again at $0.99 this was a GREAT little book, a really quick read, but great story



No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells by Rose Pressey is the first in a series about a cafe with a magic cook book and the new owner who gets dropped into the whole magic business quit abruptly.  $2.99 was a little high for this book, it read like a beginners creative writing class novel very disjointed, liked the basic premise but the author needs a little more practice.



Unicorn Bait by S.A. Hunter is a quirky little tale about  women whisked away to a strange world by an old Unicorn horn.  This one amazingly is free, and if you like fantasy or quirky stories at all you should definitely read this one, I would gladly pay for this one.


Alien Coffee by John H. Carroll is a fun little $0.99 read, finished it in an hour, but neat concept about aliens addicted to coffee, will probably keep this one on hand.

I hope this inspires you to give some new books a try, at these prices it's worth the risk, and who knows you may find a new favorite writer!  I have several more on my e-readers and will catch everybody up when I've finished a few more.

What new books/authors have you discovered online?  Do you think this opener forum is good, or does it let to many hacks through?  Has it inspired you to try your hand at writing?




No comments:

Post a Comment