Thursday, November 17, 2011

It's A Book, It's A Game, It's Nancy Drew!

My Mamma has always been one of my major partners in crime, I have done things with her, mostly at her suggestion that most people wouldn't dream of telling there own parents about...much less actually doing it with them!  One of the less shall we say controversial things my Mamma and I have done together is read.  When I was younger we got through several books together, but when I got a little older my tastes and her kind of diverged a little.  So we got a new hobby, computer games.  We would go by games like Myst and such and sit at the computer for hours trying to figure these suckers out!  The rest of the poor family was stuck listening to us discussing the finer parts of "is that a tweet or a twoot" for many a hour.  Then we discovered the wonderful amazing game series that gave us everything, puzzles, game time, AND it was based on beloved books. That's right folks I am talking about the Nancy Drew computer game series!  I cannot tell you how many countless hours we have spent over the last 15 or so years devoted to these games.  In fact when she was here for her last visit my Hubbin came out to find us on the floor with the laptop playing the newest version :-)  We live much further apart now, but we still play the games on our own and compare notes when we talk, every time I play it's like being with my Mamma.


My favorite game is probably The Secret of the Old Clock because it is based on the first actual Nancy Drew book and is set in the original time period of the books which was the 1930's.  I like the games because they usually require some actual deductive reasoning and tracking.  The story in the games usually unfolds similar to that of a book, and you know your on the right track when the story progresses.  It can be a bit frustrating on the higher level on occasion, but that's what they made Internet walkthroughs for :-) 
Now my Mamma and I are back to reading a lot of the same books, so we are constantly swapping books, and suggestions, but there will always be a soft spot on my computer for Nancy Drew games!
What special literary memories do you share with someone special?
Do you think playing games based on books count, or is it in a whole different catagory?  What book would you like to see made into a game?

No comments:

Post a Comment