Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Who Do I Call to Change the Weather Channel?


Ok I have this weird thing with some books, I can only read them during a certin season.  Not all books,
just some, you know how some people can only eat candy canes around Christmas?  I can only read certin books when the weather cooperates, I know know weird.  For example, I am in the middle of a fairly good book called The Winter Sea (and no I don't pick seasonal books based on title, this just happens to be a winter book :-) )  the setting is in a cold stormy Scotland and is perfect for
reading with a cup of hot coffee all curled up in a blanket.  When I started reading it the temps were in the 30's and 40's perfect winter book weather BUT for some strange reason this week the weather has been spring like in the 50's and 60's, do you know how hard it is to read about a lashing winter storm when a nice soft breeze is calling your name?!?  I have been trying to ignore it but I did have to switch books to a more generic non-weather specific book for a while.  This is not the first time this has happened either.  A couple of years ago we went for our yearly visit to my In-Laws farm in Southern Illinois.  It was the first weekend in September and we had a bit a
chill here in the DC area so I was all set for some fall reading, I brought my Interview with the Vampire, Wuthering Hights, and books that to me had a fall feel to them.  The only problem was when we got there it was 90 degrees with a 60% humidity factor no
bueno, so once again I tried to read the books I brought with me but alas one cannot read about non-glittering french vampires in 90 degree heat.  Lucky for me my Hubbin is a very understanding, werido tolerating sweetheart and drove me an hour to the nearest book store to stock up on "summer" books. Love ya babe! 
Some of the books I can only read during certain seasons:
Pride and Prejudice which only gets read in the spring
Harry Potter series gets read in the fall and winter
Sci-Fi is almost exclusivly read in the summer
Chronicles of Narnia gets read from Christmas to early spring
Charles de Lint short stories are good for summer
The Faire Folk Trilogy is a late summer through fall series
Dragonriders of Pern is usually late summer through fall
Emma is spring and summer
Little Women is Christmas time
Game of Thrones is best in the winter or summer
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a fall read
A Midsummers Night Dream is a summer tale

I have more and will add to the list when I think of them, but right now I'm gonna go sit in a walk-in freezer somewhere so I can finish my book :-)

Am I crazy for having seasonal books?  What books do you associate with specific seasons?  Is my Hubbin the sweetest guy in whole wide world?

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. When you have the setting in your mind already that matches the setting of a tale you read, it is easier to get into the story. Maybe one reason why space/sci-fi has been popular is because it is so foreign that you can get into it any season no matter where you are?

    ReplyDelete