Monday, February 6, 2012

Book in any language

I absolutely love the look and sound of all the different languages in our awesomely diverse world so I thought I would list the word for book in a couple of different languages for our international book people. (Plus I figure it will come in handy when I am lost in the middle of nowhere desperately searching for reading material before I go crazy!)

Spanish-libro
French-livre
German-buch
Arabic-كتاب (ketab)
Italian-libro
Greek-βιβλίο (vivlío)
Swahili-kitabu
Portuguese-livro
Russian-книга (kniga)
Japanese-本(hon)
Chinese-书(Shū)
Hindi-किताब (kitāba)
Hebrew-ספר (sefer)
Irish Gaelic-leabhar

These are just a small sample of the vast words used for "book" hopefully you all now feel educated and worldly.  Disclaimer: I am not a language expert so if I got any of these wrong please feel free to nicely reeducate on the proper way to say/spell it.

What do you think is the prettiest word for book?  Are you going to stash this list in your emergency pack so you will always be able to find a book no matter what?  What language would you like to see book translated to?

No comments:

Post a Comment