Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Hot Tamales

It's that time of year again!  The time where my Hubbin comes home and say's "soooooo there is work thing next week and they want tamales".  Now this does not surprise me at all 'cause homemade tamales are AWESOME.  I also like making tamales because they are a part of my Hubbin's culture and family tradition.  A couple of years ago he convinced his Mom to teach us how to make them and we have been pulling them out a couple of times a year ever since.  We like to make ours with my amazing carnitas and the DHP salsa his parents make fresh on their farm.
Growing Up with Tamales
It is fun to be part of a tradition like the kinds I read about in my books.  A lot of world building, culture, family tradition and setting is told through the types of food that is common, or passed down through out the families in some of my favorite stories.  These types of traditions, when used in stories help us know when and where we are.  I am so glad that I get to be part of this tamale tradition...mostly 'cause I get to eat them when I'm done :-)  Now I've got to go get another batch in the steamer so I can have a couple or ten while I start my next book!  Happy Reading Everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment