Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Reading...It All Started With My Mamma

Hello all,  we have a special guest today in the form the amazing, one of a kind, weird and wonderful Mamma!  Today I you get to read an exclusive interview about how my Mamma became a book lover and passed that love on to me and the rest of her children.  So here we go.
Q: What time did you get up this morning?
A: 4:03 am
Q: And what were you doing up at 4:03 am?
A. I just needed a Coke really bad so I could finish my book
(side note:  See I'm not the only crazy person in this family!!)
Q: What are you reading right now?
A:  The Girl Who Came Home, by Hazel Gaynor
Q:Do you like it?
A:Yes, it's a novel about love stories on the Titanic
(side note:  She is a hopeless romantic
Q. When did you first learn to read
A:  I remember Dick and Jane in first grade with Ms. Lewis, think of the word pinched and that is Ms. Lewis.
Q:  Did you love at first page?  Or did it grow on you?
A.  I just remember my favorite day was library day, but I do remember let's get past this simple Dick and Jane stuff, lets go!
Q.  Why did love reading so much
A. I lived in a rural area where my basic escape from chores, siblings (she had 7) and loneliness was books...now mind you we didn't have money for books so during the school time no problem, but the summer time was like the Dust Bowl Drought of '32!  Until this lovely librarian invited me to come every Wednesday and she met me in the dark empty school library and let me check out a weeks worth of books.
Q. Aw that is awesome!  What was your favorite kind of book growing up.
A. Travel books, stories of people of foreign countries.  In fact I would get so into them that I would get in trouble in school because I would tell them that is where I went on summer vacation.
Q. What do you like to read now?
A.  I try to mix it between biographies and junk fantasy.  I also have a terrible habit of reading a book right before the movie comes out and then hating the movie
(side note. Glad I come by that honestly)
Q.  Do you remember teaching me how to read?
A.  Teaching or allowing you how to do what you knew already?  I knew you were ready to read when you would read me words from the newspaper...you were four.  So we made flashcards...and by the next day the flashcards were useless because you were on to books.\
Q. Do you remember how you punished me after I learned to read?
A.  I would send you to your room to sit on my bed...which you would have gleefully done except I removed every single book from your room
(side note.  This was a fate worse then death before I learned to hide books...)
Q. Now that you have grandkids...who you like more then your own children, how important is it to teach this next techno driven generation how to read and more importantly how to love reading?
A.  Yes I did by my grandchild an ipad...but I have bought him tons of books and we lay in bed at night and read them over and over until he starts telling me the stories back, and that is how I know he is going to be a book lover...just one more Nana he says, just one more.
Q. How do you feel about this blog?  Do you actually read it?
A.  I read it all the time, but I don't comment all the time because I don't want people to think I'm THAT mother :-)  I have actually read books you have recommended from this site.
And that my friends is a little glimpse into how Super Bookworm Girl came to be.  I am so glad that she is here and that she imparted her love of books to me.  I am glad that we can discuss books and squeal like little girls over our shared love.  Now we are off to get some coffee and an adventure of our own...who knows maybe we will write a book about it some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment