Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas Aliens

I'm BAAAAACK!  Did you all miss me?  You did notice I was gone right... I had the best week ever.  Got to play with lil G, got to know baby L a bit better (they are both awesome little weirdos), got to see the WHOLE ENTIRE FAMILY and shared a hotel room with most of them.  Trekked down south to visit Mom and Dad J and continued to get spoiled absolutely rotten. Seriously best Christmas ever.  On top of all the family and the getting spoiled and the driving (so much driving!) I also finished four books and started a fifth Ahhh bliss. So get ready for many a rambling on a varied number of books.
 Since it is Christmas week I will start of with my new Christmas book, Miracles and Other Christmas Stories by Connie Williams.  It took me forever to find this years Christmas book, after last years disaster I was a bit leery.  I got this book on several recommendations and the fact that it was short stories which usually works well for me, oh and there was supposed to be a sci-fi element to some of the story's.  I started reading it all curled up on my MIL couch in my new fluffy spa robe (felt like being wrapped in a warm cloud) sipping a cup of egg nog infused coffee.  I have to tell you folks, this book was perfect.  I will start by listing some of my favorite stories.

Miracle-The title story is awesome, it references the classic Christmas movies, has an eco-friendly spirit who turns expensive dresses into leaves, a sweet and plausible love story, and just a bunch of Christmas heart.  A sweet story that perfectly walks the line between sentimental and hilarious.

Inn - This story has a completely different feel (in a good way) from the first one.  In this one a suburban soccer mom is faced with the original Christmas story in a very very real way.  Again combining a bit of a sci-fi/fantasy feel with a true Christmas story, loved every word of it.

In Coppelius's Toyshop - This story was a bit creepy and drives home the point that mean people who don't get the spirit of Christmas get what they deserve.  In this semi-horror story a grinchy single urban man gets what is coming to him when he snarls his way through the magical toy store of Dr. Coppelius.  Also I really want to visit this store!

Cat's Paw- This is the authors homage to the classic Christmas Mystery with a bit of a futuristic twist.  In our tale we have apes who act as humans, their sweet, smart and slightly naive keeper, an heir who is up to his eyeballs in debt, an animal liberation terrorist organization, a pompous detective and his assistant who just wants to get to his sisters for a country Christmas. This one is just really cool.

Newsletter- This is probably my favorite.  This is the first story I have ever read to successfully combine aliens and Christmas and still retain what makes both genre's/feelings/atmosphere so unique and special.  Somehow the author manages to tell a sci-fi story with aliens and research and conspiracy theories and STILL retain a feeling of holiday cheer, amazing!

I think what struck me most about this collection is the authors real love of Christmas.  A lot of authors in this genre tend to take a jaded and cynical look at the holidays, or completely discount the original story as impossible and absurd, but she really has a feel for it.  She successfully put out several stories spanning a ton of genre's and in each one kept to the feeling of Christmas without once getting overly sappy.  The author also obviously loves books and referenced so many amazing ones throughout her stories, some playing an important role, some just there because they are beloved books. Also her grasp on old school sci-fi movies is quit impressive. Her ability to mention Jesus and the Bible without being apologetic, but not falling into preaching territory is such a refreshing read compared to the over sanitized politically correct versions or purposefully inflammatory crap that has been out there around Christmas lately.  I understand the need to not offend...but if you don't like Christmas and all the parts that go with it, don't read Christmas books, problem solved.  Overall I loved, loved, loved this collection, I felt like it was written just for me being the Christmas loving, book adoring, sci-fi geek that I am, this hit the spot perfectly.  I recommend it for any body who loves both the tradition of Christmas and appreciates a twist on an idea.  I give it 10 out of 10 candy canes and will probably reread at least a couple of the stories every year.  Happy Reading Everybody!

What is your favorite Christmas story?  Do you like your Christmas stories in novel length or short story form?  Who would have thought combining aliens and Christmas would work so well?

No comments:

Post a Comment