Tuesday, December 31, 2013

3...2...1

Well folks it is time to wrap up another year and I have to say it has been a great one.  I have accomplished a lot, started a lot, laughed a lot, cried a lot, laughed some more a lot and read a lot.  Since 13 is my favorite number and I am kind of sad that we have to change to 2014 I thought I would list my 13 favorite reads of this year.  Not necessarily ones that were published this year, just ones I have read and they stuck with me. I will link them to my ramblings just for fun.
1.   The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson-I set out to find a book that would creep me out and give me chills. This book did that in the most beautiful and haunting way possible, just wonderful.

2.   The Book Thief by Markus Zusak-This book was beautiful, brutal, lyrical, exhausting, sad, oh it was a bit of everything.  It was hard to get through, but worth every single word.

3.   And All the Stars by Andrea Host-This is probably my favorite read of this year.  I figured I would enjoy it since I am into Sci Fi, but I was so happily surprised at the sheer awesomeness of the writing so so happy!

4.   Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George- This refreshing take on Cinderella is the second in a trilogy and is just as good as the first. Anytime you can make Cinderella a brat and still cheer her on is a good thing.

5.   Seraphina by Rachel Hartman-I really enjoyed this almost political (for all it's dragons and magic) book about how humans and dragons try and coexist.  Lots of food for thought...

6.   Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire-I thoroughly enjoyed this book for so many reasons.  The combo of fantasy and science, the tropes that worked and the Aslien mice, great great read.

7.   The Black Swan by Mercedes Lackey-A retelling of the classic ballet Swan Lake (how is that for cross art coolness) Good read, amazing cover, and awesome clothes, oh yeah and a good story too!

8.   Tooth and Claw by Jo Watson-Is it a fantasy about dragons or a historical fiction in the Austen vein...oh wait it's both!  Great book about propriety and eating ones young...no seriously it's awesome

9.   Unnatural Creatures selected by Neil Gaiman-This short story collection made it into my top 13 because almost every story was awesome and original and diverse and awesome (did I say that already?)!

10.  Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines-Ah I love this book so so so so so so so so much.  It has so many books, so many geek refrences, so many characters and good plots, love love love love love.

11.  The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater-This is one of those books where the characters are worth everything.  The plot eh, each and every character SO AWESOME (I really like that word).

12.  The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey- It was so nice to read a book by this author that I have never read before.  This was one of her first and it did not disappoint...I miss her.

13.   The Candy Makers by Wendy Mass-This little yellow book which was bought on a whim and read on accident turned out to be one of the most intriguing and enjoyable books of the year.

So there you have it folks my top 13 reads of this year.  This is not to say that I did not enjoy others, just that these ones all had something a little extra special.  Can't wait to see what is on next years list!
What is on your top 13 for 2013?  Did you keep your New Years Reading Resolution?  How many books do you think I can read next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment