Friday, November 8, 2013

I Like Big Books

Hmmm, so I was going through my current reading list to decide which books I would do for my next rambling when I realized...they are all big books.  Seriously 4 out of 5 of my current books are over 300 pages with at least two of them being in the 400 range, and one of them is in itty bitty print with super thing pages!  So it may take me a while to get to the next books on my pile, but that is ok 'cause if the book is good (and so far all of these are awesome!) then I want as many pages as possible.  As I gaze longingly at my bookshelves I realize that I have books of every shape and size, some are big honkin annotated tomes of classics, some are short little paperback quickies, some are beautifully illustrated stories, some are fat, juicy little things, but they all have a story
 hidden in there pages.  That being said I do have a soft spot for big books...if it is a good one.  I am not a fan of a book that goes on and on and on when it could have gotten the point across better with about 200 less pages.  However to me the mark of a good book is when you are on page 200 and still have 2/3rds of the book to go and you can't wait to read every single page, or you finish and realize that you just consumed 500 pages of awesome goodness and didn't even realize how long the book was!  If you can not only maintain my interest for that long, but make me want to continue reading, then you madam or sir have done an exceptional job.  Of course the down side to my big books is that they do take a little longer to read (not a bad thing for me, saves me money, but a bad thing for a blog that is supposed to have ramblings on it), and they are a bit more awkward to haul around.  Usually for these big books I either get a copy in paper back (seriously have you tried hauling around Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in hard cover?!?  I still need regular physical therapy to straighten out my spine) or I use my handy e-reader, which means I can carry a literal ton of 600 pagers in one little portable device.  Of course all of these big fat books (especially the ones I splurge on and get a hard cover edition to keep on the shelf) look really impressive and make me look really smart :-)
What kind of books do you like to read (long, medium, short)? Is it easier to read big books in hard cover, paperback or e-reader form?  Does a huge collection of short stories count as reading a big book?  Have you ever tried to read a big book in the bathtub

No comments:

Post a Comment