Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Back To The Books

Everybody is headed back to school today, and besides the fact it messes up my morning commute, it is the time of year everybody gets to start over and try again.  Here are some of my favorite schools in the books I've read through out my own school years.
Sweet Valley High: Three Novels
Sweet Valley High- Don't judge, you know you read these too!  The Sweet Valley High Series was one of my first introductions to the "idealized" high school experience.  Of course the fact that I was a sheltered little middle schooler who wore a uniform probably helped to foster the fantasy.  Of course the real experience was nothing like what I had read, and looking back some of the messages in these books are probably questionable at best, but hey they are still great for a nostalgic sigh.
Jane Eyre (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics Series)
Lowood School-Jane Eyre is not my favorite of the classics, but I always love the first part at the Lowood School.  Something about it's sinister Mr. Brocklehurst, and the banding together of the girls, and the tragic typhoid deaths that is everything a good character forming school in a gothic novel should be.
Dragonsong (Harper Hall Trilogy Series #1)
Harper Hall-I always wanted to go to Harper Hall after reading about it in the Harper Hall Trilogy.  Regardless of my complete lack of musical ability this combination school/college/guild always seemed like the perfect place to learn just about anything.  I also like that they use Teaching Songs as a way to impart learning on the children through out the world.
Little House (9-Book Boxed Set)
One Room School Houses-I loved the old school...well schools in the Little House series. I loved watching Laura and Mary go to school.  I loved watching Laura graduate and become a teacher.  I loved all the little advances that were made from the beginning of the series until the end.  I know my siblings probably hated this series because I used to make them bring there dinner pails and go to school in my made up school houses all the time.
Harry Potter Hardcover Boxed Set, Books 1-7
Hogwarts-Of course my favorite school in a book/series is without a doubt Hogwarts that is the setting for a good chunk of the Harry Potter series.  This is a school you would actually be excited to go to everyday, with classes like Potions and Charms how could you not have a great time.  These books combine all of the best and worst bits of school with magic and adventure, the perfect back to school tale for anybody.

What is your favorite literary school?  What kind of books did you discover in school?  What type of school would you like to go to?  Did you have senoritis in kindergarten like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment