Monday, October 17, 2011

Halloween Classics

With Halloween happening this month, I thought I would share my favorite "It was a dark and scary night" books.  I love Halloween, I love costumes, Fall, candy, horror flicks, and reading scary stories.  One of my favorite books to read is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.  Now the original Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books, so I was a little leery to see somebody mess with it, but I thought I would give it a go.  It was surprisingly really good, it kept Jane Austen's original story and language, but Seth Grahame-Smith did a really good job of seamlessly bringing zombies into the mix. I love the opening paragraph:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.  Never was this truth more plain than during the recent attacks at Netherfield Park, in which a household of eighteen was slaughtered and consumed by a horde of the living dead."  It was kind of weird reading such a familiar story (he keeps EVERYTHING in it) yet it totally has zombies in it with out distracting from the story.



Here some other horrific adaptions of classics, some are better then others, but they all put a unique spin on things.

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
Android Karenina
Alice in Zombieland
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

Let me know if you think these are genius, or a twisted mess of a classic you hold dear.



No comments:

Post a Comment