Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Epic Break

A lot of the books I read probably fall into the EPIC category.  They are great books, but tend to get pretty heavy, what with all the bloody battles, deaths of beloved characters, moral crises and so on so forth sometimes a girl just needs a little break.  Usually I head over to the humor section for a little satire or comic relief, sometimes I get a borderline trashyish but fun girly novel, and once in a great while amidst all of the angst, the teen section can come up with some great light reads.  I call these my candy books 'cause too many of them make my teeth hurt, but on occasion are so yummy :-)
One of these priceless gems is a little book called How to Ditch Your Fairy, by Justine Larbalestier


The book is set in a semi-fictional North America/Australia type place in modernish times.  At some point most people started being born with fairies.  Nobody knows why or where they came from...it just kind of happened.  The fairies are invisible, but imbue there "owners" with all kinds of powers ranging from the mundane Loose-Change-Fairy, to the coveted Shopping Fairy.  A lot of times you won't even know what fairy you have until you notice things happening in patterns, and it seems no to people can have to same fairy.  The story is about a teenage girl named Charlie who has the Parking Fairy, which essentially ensures that any vehicle she is in will be able to find the perfect parking spot each and every time.  This causes her problems as her parents are always dragging here to boring places so that they can get a good spot.  As the story progresses one of her classmates starts using her to get good spots for illegal activities.  Here best friend Rochelle has the Shopping Fairy which makes anything look good on her AND always makes it on sale for unbelievable markdowns. Her nemesis (I love that word) Fiorenze has the All-The-Boys-Like-You-Fairy which attracts Steffie the new boy that Charlie likes.  As we read on Charlie tries several different ways to get rid of here fairy, hoping to attract a new one and one point even switches with Fiorenze after they team up with disastrous results.  In the end everybody gets what they need and live happier then they were before.

After I finished reading this I called all my siblings and told them that I had finally found an explanation for all of Mamma's luck.  No matter where we are, no matter how crowded, holiday time, events, bad weather doesn't matter if my Mamma is in the car there will ALWAYS be a perfect parking spot.  Sometimes we will be sure it's not gonna work when all of a sudden a car will pull out of a spot right in front of the store!  We always assumed it was luck, but now we are pretty sure she just has a parking fairy!
What fairy do you have? What fairy does a friend or family have?  What fairy would you like to have?  I think I would like to have a time control fairy that would allow me to speed up time when I was bored and slow down time when I was having fun.

2 comments:

  1. I have the "fall asleep anywhere" fairy. My wife says that I can fall asleep anywhere/anytime if left alone for a few minutes. It's true and comes from my days in the Marine Corps where every second of sleep was to be cherished! :)
    I'd rather have the "favorite re-run fairy" that lets me find my favorite re-runs of TV shows whenever I am bored and channel surfin'. Anyone want to trade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I changed my mind, I now want the bottemless-nospill-perfect-cup-of-coffee-fairy!

    ReplyDelete