Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Random Super Bookworm Girl Book Facts

In case anybody had any doubt whatsoever I am a little tiny bit weird...ok I'm a lot tiny bit weird.  Some of my quirks come out in my reading habits/likes/dislikes so I thought I would share a few so you can get to know me a bit better :-)
My List of Book/Reading Facts
1. I am actually dyslexic and can't read single words very well so when I learned to read I learned to read whole paragraphs at a time.  Nobody ever believes me until a) they give me five seconds to see a paragraph and then quiz me on it or b) ask me to edit something word for word...not a good idea.
2. I like books in a series to all look the same.  I want them either all paperback or all hardback and with the same style of cover.  At the moment my Harry Potter series is a jumble of hardback, paperback and styles and it drives me crazy every time I look at it.
3. I really really really like books with yellow covers.  I have no idea why, yellow doesn't even make it into my top 5 favorite color list, but I love it on a book cover.
4.  I like shopping for books almost as much as I love reading them.
5.  As much as I love a brand new book, I adore getting books from library sales, especially ones from my youth, there is something about the smell of them that takes me straight back to happy times.
6. I firmly believe that books can be the decor.
7. I love my books and any time anybody asks me when I am going to clean them out and get rid of some I pretty much just look at them in horror.
8. I have reread almost every book that I own at least once, many of them several times.
9. I always have to have at least one book with me, always.
10. I used to pretend to be afraid of the dark so my parents would leave the hall light on and my door open, then I would creep to the end of my bed and read until the wee hours of the morning.
11. I crave various types of books like most people crave food, and I can't stop obsessing until I read what I am craving.
12.Sometimes when I reread a book I skip pages.
13. I will read a book I know I am gonna hate, just to say I have read it so I can snark about it in good conscious.
14.  I can read up to 600 words per minute with a really high comprehension level, but usually probably only read around 400 when I am reading for fun.
15.  I started first grade a year and a half early because I could read.
16. In grade school we all had to do these speed reading and comprehension tests and they thought I was cheating because I was consistently getting an 8th grade reading level result while I was in the second grade.
17. My Mamma and I used to have "competitions" to see who could read the same book the fastest...now she just brings suitcases full for me when she comes to visit.
18. Every single person in my family is a book lover, even my lil bro who used to hate it with a passion until he discovered books on tape/ipod (his learning disabilities make it almost impossible to read for any length of time, so he discovered a work around).
19. I bribe myself to do things I don't want to with new books and reading time.
20. The world goes away when I read.
Hopefully this little exercise has given you some insight into my world of books and words.  I am lucky I grew up in a house that encouraged a love of reading, and I married a guy who indulges my every literary whim.  These quirks and habits are a bit odd, but they are how my reading life goes :-)
What reading quirks/habits do you have?  Are you surprised that I have issues reading...or did my spelling/grammar tip you off :-)? How would we survive without reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment