Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Dragons Everywhere

In case you haven't noticed from my recent posts, I am pretty into dragons.  I love how they can be portrayed in so many different ways, feral and animalistic, old and wise, beautiful and clever, magical and mysterious.  Some morph into other shapes, some ally with humans, some are fierce warriors and others are civilized professors, and of course there are always the comical, cute and cuddly dragons.  Here are some of my favorite books/series about dragons. Obviously there are many many many more that I love that either feature dragons, or have dragons in them, but these are the ones that the dragons tend to be the main focus.
Dragonriders of Pern: Dragonflight, Dragonquest, The White Dragon
The Dragonriders of Pern
This is my ultimate, favorite, totally in love with series about dragons by my ultimate favorite totally in love with author Anne McCaffery.  This series spans a ton of books, and combines genre's in a way I have never seen before.  The intense bond between the animal and rider, the politics, the world building, the history, the characters, the story, just so much to read in these amazing books.  In fact I think I'm gonna go reread one now.
Inheritance Cycle 4-Book Trade Paperback Boxed Set (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, Inheritance)
The Inheritance Cycle
This series is about as EPIC as they come.  I have to say I really love the story arc of the main character Eragon and his dragon Saphira.  There is everything you could want out of an epic fantasy story, dragons, knights, evil, love, elves, dwarves, magic, sword fighting, epic battles, epic journey's, epic everything!  A must read for fans of  J.R.R. Tolkien
Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders Series #1)
Liveship Traders Series
This series combines my love of the open ocean and dragons and good writing all into one neat little trilogy.  Dragons in this series are dealt with in a completely new way, which the author took her time to reveal.  This made an an amazing series even better, because you not only got a solid story and great characters, but a bit of a puzzle to keep you turning each and every page.
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles: Dealing with Dragons/ Searching for Dragons/ Calling on Dragons/ Talking to Dragons
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles
Hahaha I love these books, they turn every conception of the Princess/Dragon/Knight in Shiny armor trope upside down and inside out. This thoroughly entertaining series is perfect for all readers young and old.  I find it especially great to show the younger generation that you can be a kick-ass girl and still know and even enjoy the domestic arts.  I also love how the main dragons are girls and that they have the title of KING!
A Tale of Two Castles
A Tale of Two Castles
This book from Gail Carson Levine made me remember why I loved her so much in the first place.  This fun little novel stars Elodie a wanna-be actress and a dragon detective who takes her in when she needs help.  This take on a fussy yet smart dragon is both humorous and touching, especially the friendship that grows between the dragon and the girl.  If you liked this authors other books, especially her earlier ones, you will find much to enjoy in this one as well.
Seraphina
Seraphina
Besides the fact that this is supposed to be a series/trilogy/duology or something like that, it is a pretty good book.  Again with a different take on dragons making this book very interesting (I know my grammer is atrocious today).  I liked the politics, religion, and history of this book, so much so that I wanted to know even more about this little world.  The mind garden aspect of our main character was probably worth reading about on its own.  What is a mind garden you ask, and what does it have to do with dragons?  Well go read the book and find out.
Tooth and Claw
Tooth and Claw
I just finished this one, and it reminded me of just how much you can do with a dragon.  I loved this one because it was very Austenesque with it's high society, class structure, strict morals, but it still retained a sense of non-humanness to it that I loved.  The dragons while civilized still devoured each other as part of society, death is normal, and having there scales sponged of blood is just a part of an upper class meal.  The contrast between a form of gentility and the fact that these are still dragons was just wonderful to read.

What is your favorite Dragon book/story/series?  How do you prefer your dragons to behave?  How badly do you want a dragon of your very own?  What would you feed a dragon now days?

No comments:

Post a Comment