Monday, June 3, 2013

Let's Get Political

Just finished watching the first season of the American version of House of Cards and I have to say I am a little disturbed and a little in love.  It was a bit like watching a train wreck, you know the outcome is going to be horrific, but you just can't help but watch the process.  To be fair, when it comes to shows about politics I am definitely more of a TheWest Wing fan, it is a bit more optimistic then most other shows about Capitol Hill.  When it comes to reading politics can be hit or miss for me.  If not done correctly it can get confusing and boring, but done right it can be as exciting as any battle scene.  Here are a few of my favorite books/series that have a strong political theme to them.
Newsflesh Trilogy Boxed Set
The Newsflesh Trilogy
Zombies and Politics what could be better!  Seriously though, this series is not what I thought it was gonna be, it turned out so much better, and involved, and fresh and different and...well you get the idea.  The politics are a central part of this story and it is extremely well done.
Dragonriders of Pern: Dragonflight, Dragonquest, The White Dragon
The Dragonriders of Pern
Dragons and Politics who knew they would turn out to be such a good mix.  Another series that on the surface seems to be about one thing.  Brave daring dragon riders battling an evil threat, but the more you read the more you realize it is about a whole world and it's way of life, with a heavy dose of conflicting politics thrown in for fun...and it actually is fun.
Ender's Game (Ender Wiggin Series #1)
Ender's Game
Politics in Space with a side of ethics and morals.  I love this book for so many reasons, one of the chief ones it the look at a global political system.  I love how involved the children get, either by choice or by circumstance. This book really explores all the different ways you can use politics to manipulate just about anything.
Crown Duel (Crown and Court Duel Series #1)
Crown Duel
Politics at the Castle, this is actually an interesting duo of books.  The first half deals with a renegade noble trying to get her brother on the throne, along with politics there is a lot of swordplay and typical fantasyish mayhem.  The second half is an awesome contrast to the first half where our heroine has to battle using words and influence in a political arena instead of her fists, very very cool.
Seraphina
Seraphina
Politics and Religion in a land with an uneasy truce.  I loved how different this book turned out to be.  Aside from my few minor frustrations I liked how politics mingled with religion, fear, biases, and practicality.  I also liked how the politics were shown from different views, the higher ups, the lower class, the different age groups etc.  I also liked how the humans and the dragons had two completely different political and governmental areas.

As you can see I don't read a lot of realistic political books.  I figure if I want to deal with that crap I can just turn on any of our zillions of 24 hour news channels.  However I do like a book that can explore the politics of different times and places adapting it to things we don't have to deal with and yet making the struggle feel familiar.  There are tons of other books that do the politics well, these are just a select few of my current favorites. Happy Reading.

What is your favorite type of politics in books?  Do you like politics in your fiction or do you read to escape all that?  If you could invent a political party what would it be?  Is it bad that I can finish a 13 episode series in a single weekend?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment