Wednesday, June 26, 2013

100 Year Sleep

I am absolutely exhausted and there is no end in site for at least the next four weeks!  Sometimes when I feel like this I have the urge to prick my finger on a spindle and see if I can't get myself 100 years of sleep like our friend Sleeping Beauty.  I think that is the amount of sleep it would take at this point to feel finally rested, on the down side I bet I would have horrible morning breath :-)  Since 100 years of sleep is not on the schedule I will instead share some of my favorite versions of this tale in hopes that I can get some sleep vicariously.
Spindle's End
Spindles End
A whole new twist on the Sleeping Beauty tale.  All the characters are fleshed out and we get to live the whole life of our heroine princess turned peasant.  The ending is a bit Huh? but over all one of my favorites (note to self, reread and ramble)
Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep
Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep
An extremely humorous take on this classic tale.  For being such a short little book, it packs a lot of punch, recommended for everybody!
Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of
Beauty Sleep
This is part of a series of hit or miss retelling's of all the classic fairy tales.  This Sleeping Beauty retelling is actually quit good.  The love story aspect of it is particularly well done, especially since 100 years really does pass.
Briar Rose (The Fairy Tale Series)
Briar Rose
I have mixed feelings about this story, which is less a retelling and more of an allegory.  The biggest part was I wanted more of the fairy tale to be in the story, but that being said it is definitely worth reading and inspired further research on my part.
Enchantment
This may be one of my favorite retellings of all time.  The way the author combines history, magic, and great writing make this a classic for any lover of a good tale.  This is another book that had me running time and again to the computer to look up characters and tales mentioned, and yet it is still seamlessly blended into the  classic Sleeping Beauty tale.

Hopefully reading some of these books will help me feel like I've gotten sleep through osmosis.  I suppose I could try and get some extra sleep by putting my book down...hahahaha I crack myself up sometimes.

What is your favorite tale of sleep? Are you a morning or night person?  How bad would you have to pee if slept for 100 years?

No comments:

Post a Comment