Friday, April 12, 2013

Wineing and Reading

Had the most perfect evening last night.  Started with coffee, chocolate cheesecake and a trip to the bookstore.  After we got home and I had some quality Hubbin time, he poured me a glass of our favorite red wine (Dreaming Tree Crush Blend) and I settled into my reading chair with all the doors and windows open, letting in the fresh yummy breezes.  As I sipped my wine and read my book, my Hubbin asked if the wine went with the book, which got me thinking which type of wines pair best with which type of book?   Here is what I came up with, your taste may vary :-)
Sauvignon Blanc -This lighter, drier wine pairs well with books that are dashing and active.  Science Fiction goes especially well with any Marlborough, New Zealand variety.  Starborough is my favorite to sip while zipping though the stars in Enders Game or fighting of parasitic aliens in And All the Stars.

Riesling-This sweeter wine is excellent for drinking while reading any Regency era story.  In particular a nice German Riesling (especially if it comes in a blue bottle) pairs well with any Jane Austen novel.  The sweetness of the wine, makes it more sippable then gulpable, forcing me to be refined and elegant.

Malbec-This red wine has a bit of everything, herby, fruity, and not to heavy. This tends to be my go to wine for all things Gothic.  Any book that features large drafty houses, locked doors or a potential scandalous mystery screams for a glass of this red wine.  This was a must have when I was reading The Twin's Daughter.

Sparkling Wine-Champagne is the most recognized of the sparkling wines, but I usually prefer something on the very dry side.  I usually like to drink sparkling wine when I am reading any sort of book set in a major city, especially contemporary books.  I think it captures the hustle and bustle and potential elegance of the urban center.  Bunheads was read while happily sipping a bit of the bubbly

Dreaming Tree Crush Blend-As I mentioned earlier, this is our favorite red wine.  I can drink it while reading just about anything, but it goes particularly well with zombies, vampires and the occasional poltergeist.  I polished of several bottles of this delicious elixir while reading Feed the first book in the Newsflesh series and can't wait to repeat the experience with the next book.

What is your favorite book/wine pairing?  What else do you like to drink when you read?  Would you believe I'm really not drunk all of the time, regardless of what my ramblings sound like?

No comments:

Post a Comment