Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Really Rosie

I have been having the most wonderful time this last week playing Aunt to all of my nephews and nieces, both blood and adopted.  We have been singing, dancing, farting, laughing, and telling silly stories.  All of this silliness and laughter makes me think of my Mamma, mostly because she is the one who taught us that silliness is what makes the world go round :-)  One of my most distinct memories of growing up is listening to my mom sing the songs from Really Rosie a TV special based on the books in the Nutshell Library
Nutshell Library
Sadly the recording of the show is only on VHS, but the songs are available for purchase. I remember Really Rosie being inventive and loud and fun...just like my Mamma.  The stories in this collection are awesome, my favorite being Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue.  Mamma played the lion in this story when she was in school and we used to love to listen to her gobble up the troublesome Pierre.  These books were written by Maurice Sendak of Where the Wild Things Are fame.  I think everybody needs to get a set of these books pronto and find the nearest kid and read them out loud, cause these are the type of books best read out loud.
What childhood books remind you of a certain loved one?  Do you have a shelf solely dedicated to nostalgic books of your past?  How sucky is it that I can't find this on DVD?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment