Monday, March 4, 2013

What Came First The Reading Or The Insomnia?

So, I  may have stayed up all night finishing up the book I was reading...and then instead of going to sleep I may have started a new one.  Needless to say the alarm clock was not my friend this morning.  I have had this habit of reading instead of sleeping ever since I can remember and to be quit honest I'm not sure if the insomnia begets the reading, or the reading is the cause of my insomnia.  All I know is my first memories of not being able to sleep, and my memories of learning how to read all start at the same time.  I remember telling my parents I was afraid of the dark so that they would leave the hall light on and my door open. I
would then sneak to the end of my bed and read by the hall light.  I clearly remember the foot of my bed being covered in books.  When I got a little older, staying up late to read became a reward my parents would give me.  We were all responsible for turning of our lights by a certain time (8:00pm for the younger kids and 9:00pm for the older kids).  They would come check on us to make sure we were in beds with lights off, if we left the light on past our given time we would get in trouble and have to go to bed however many minutes we stayed up, earlier the next night (does that makes sense, e.g. if our lights out time was 9:00pm and we left our light on until 9:20pm we had to turn off our light at 8:40pm the next night).  Our parents did this to teach us how regulate our own time, responsibility, etc. etc.  When I did something exceptionally good, then my reward was to stay up and read later, usually in 15 minute increments.  I remember one night my Daddy told me I could stay up until 10:00 pm to read!!!  What they didn't know is that I would find any light source possible (night light, glowing clock, smuggled flashlights, full moons) to stay up and read until who know's what time.  I know by the time I was nine I was regularly reading into the single digits of the morning.  Eventually I got my own room away from the rest of my family and was allowed to stay up as late as I wanted (provided I got myself up and ready for school with no issues the next morning) and can honestly say their were nights the sun would come up and I would still be reading.
Once I moved out on my own, I would find my alarm going off and me still on the couch in the middle of a book.  Now that I am old and have to be at work at ungodly hours I sometimes actually go to bed at a decentish time, but some nights that still not possible.  Last night for instance, I knew as soon as I got into bed that I was not going to sleep, so I got out my trusty stack of books and filled the time with a good story.  To this day I am not sure if the reason I don't sleep well at night is genetics (my Mamma is a night owl as well) 'cause I can sleep just fine in the mornings (I usually drift off around 3am) or if my eagerness to read books is what keeps my mind awake until I finally give in and turn on the light.  Regardless of the reason, my bouts with sleeplessness have led to some great marathon reading sessions and the dreams I have after a good book is finished are usually pretty awesome.  So to all my fellow night owls out there, happy reading!
When is your favorite time to read?  Does reading make you sleepy or wake you up?  Are you a night owl or a morning person?  Who is willing to do a scientific study showing that you can replace sleep with a good book, I will volunteer as the guinea pig :-) ?

No comments:

Post a Comment