Thursday, March 21, 2013

Rambles About Ramblings

Somebody asked me the other day why I always put in such a long synopsis of the book in my ramblings.  My first thought was well 'cause it's my blog and I can do whatever I want but that sounded kinda snotty, so here is the reasons I write my ramblings the way I do.  The whole purpose of this blog is a very very selfish one, I like to talk about books.  I like to pontificate, speculate, analyze and discuss books I've read, want to read and other cool things related to books.  When I started this blog it was to fill a void I found, sometimes I wanted to know the whole plot of the book. The vast majority of the time I try not to read reviews of a book until I have already read it.  I have found that reviews leave me with the reviewers point of view and sometimes skews my reading of the book.  So after I have read the book I want to read what other people thought of it.  A lot of reviews give you one super detailed beginning paragraph and then a bunch of vaugery as to rightfully not spoil the book, and then try and review it.  Do you know how hard it is to review a book and not spoil it?  The few ramblings I have done where I have tried to keep pieces of the plot a secret are not my best work.  I look at it as less of a review and more of a discussion among people who have already read the book, or may want more information than a back cover blurb. I think most reviews (as they should be) are a way for people to find a new book to read, but the lack of spoilers can really stilt the discussion.  Now I know my ramblings are not
for everybody, they are called ramblings, not reviews for a reason.  They are long and wandery and sometime really choppy, there is a reason I'm a reader not a writer!  I guess in the end it is more about my need to discuss a book at length that leads to these overly written musings of mine.  A lot of the people I know who read the same books as me don't live anywhere near me and my poor Hubbin gets stuck with me going on and on about a given book.  This space gives me somewhere to just spew everything I am thinking, feeling, loveing and hating when I have finished a book.  I will continue my rambling as long as there are books to read and thoughts to be had and I hope you will all join me in discussing some of these amazing books!

No comments:

Post a Comment