Monday, January 14, 2013

Slogging Through The Tomes

Do you ever just not want to finish a book?  I find myself in that situation lately, I'm not sure if I'm just not picking up great books, or I am distracted or what, but I have a huge stack of half finished books laughing at me.  I hate not finishing books, there are a few exceptions of course.  I have not finished books that are just so badly written that they don't make sense.  I have not finished books that I personally find in bad taste.  I have not finished books that are so boring that I find myself rereading the same page several times and still not registering the words on the paper.  These are all good reasons to not finish a book, and I have even forced myself to finish a few that fall into these categories, just for fair reviewing purposes.  The books that I have half read now do not fall into any of these reasons, they just are not getting finished. These books are decent books, maybe not earth-shattering, maybe not my new favorite of all time, but these are fairly well written, solid stories with good premises and decent plot lines.  It might be the post-holiday blues, where nothing seems as shiny and pretty as it was last month, it might be that I have so many books just begging to be read I can't keep my focus on what I am reading right now, maybe I just need more coffee. Whatever the reason I am giving myself a break and putting these books back in the TBR pile and hopefully their mocking laughter will not keep me up at night.  I will probably pick one up one of these days, remember why I got it in the first place, finish it and then kick myself for not sticking with it earlier.  Well back to the stack...hey what's that book with the pretty cover over there?!?

Do you always finish the books you start?  Are you one those disciplined people who can read one book at a time, never picking up the next one until the current one is finished or are you distracted by a pretty cover or interesting sounding premise?  What is the most amount of books you've had going at once (I'm up to 11 right now)?

No comments:

Post a Comment