Friday, December 14, 2012

Christmas Scenes

It's Christmas, It's Christmas Falalalalalalala!  I always try and get a new holiday book to read around Christmas time, you know to try and get into the spirit of things and this year I took to Facebook to ask for suggestions.  I got several lovely idea's and picked out my Christmas book, but amidst these was an interesting suggestion from my lil bro.  He suggested all of the Christmas scenes in the Harry Potter books, which got me thinking of all of my favorite Christmas chapters in books that are not necessarily about the holidays as a whole, but have them as part of the timeline, here are some of my favorites.

Harry Potter Series- As my brother pointed out these books tend to place a special emphasis on Christmas in each book.  I think my favorite one is the first book when poor orphan Harry finally gets a Christmas were he receives gifts and love instead of used tape and disdain.  Of course any Christmas scene with Dobby is great too, think mismatched homemade socks and Harry Potter face Christmas ornaments. Also I want magic Christmas Crackers!

Little Women-One of my favorite parts of this book is the Christmas in the beginning of the book where the girls give up there long awaited for feast so that a poor starving family can eat.  I love how each girl purposefully gives up a treat they love, even if it did take some internal struggling.  For some reason this one always sticks in my head as an ultimate Christmas scene.

Little House Series-I love the various descriptions of each years Christmas in these books.  I like how they change from almost primitive and child like in The Big Woods, all the way to trying to put together your first Christmas as a married adult in The First Four Years.  I always looked forward to the Christmas Scenes in these books.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe- One of my favorite reading memories is the scene in this book where Father Christmas finally breaks through into Narnia, signalling the end of the White Witches never ending winter without Christmas.  I liked how a bit of our world and a bit of this other world combined to give us a familiar touchstone.  I also loved the gifts that Father Christmas gave the children and wanted my own bow and arrow for many a Christmas after reading this scene.

What is your favorite holiday scene in a non-holiday book?  Are you ever surprised how important the holidays are in certain books?  What would your perfect holiday scene be like?


No comments:

Post a Comment