Friday, December 30, 2016

2016 In Review

Here are again, at the end of another year and a brink of a new one.  This has been a year of massive change in so many ways, including this blog.  The one thing that hasn't changed is my obsessive need to read, it is one of the things that gives me stability when everything is in flux...although I admit I love the chaos :-)  Anyways here is a list of my faves from each month that helped keep me sane.
Station 11
This book is still indefinable.  It has been read by me and several of my fellow bookies and while we can all agree it is an excellent book that stuck with us all...we still have no idea what genre to place it in.  It is the perfect book to start off the year.
The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
A collection of Holmes stories written in every style imaginable.  The stories in this collection rekindled once again my love of this great detective and the supporting cast that never leaves me bored.
Room
This pick which was suggested to me by my partner at the firehouse was intense.  Probably one of the most emotionally draining, well written, thought provoking books I have read in a long time, go read it!
Peter Pan
One of my favorite books of all time.  It is one of my go to's when I need to be reminded that all of life is just one great adventure and to treat it as such.  This is one of the reasons books exist.
The Expanse
This is Sci Fi at its finest.  I enjoyed this book so much more then I thought I was going to and cannot wait to get my hands on the next installment in the series.  If you are looking for a very readable science fiction series, this is it my friends.
The Magican's of Caprona
Magic, magic, magic.  I could (and do) read Diana Wynne Jones all day everyday, pure magic.
The Mermaids Sister
A solid little fairytale that was both original and familiar.  The content was perfect for a midsummers read, especially in the hectic moving days.
Press Start to Play
August was a rough month overall, but this collection of stories at least gave some things to think about, which is always a good thing.
Chime
I loved this book so much.  I had high hopes for it and they were exceeded...which is really rare.  This book is weird and wild and different and I love it!
Cuckoo Song
This random read ended up being the perfect October read.  It combined mystery, atmosphere and a few hair raising moments, good book, good timing, happy reader.
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
This book was long, epic and pretty awesome.  It took me close to three months to finally get through the whole thing, but I think it was definitely worth it.
When Santa Fell to Earth
This surprising and accidental find reminds me to look for unexpected joy, especially during the holiday season.  This book was a great little Christmas story which put the star on the tree so to speak.

There we have it folks, a quick year in review of some of the books that stuck with me.  Hopefully I will find more reading/rambling time this next year in between my new epic adventures.  Happy Reading Everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment