Monday, May 5, 2014

Faerie History

When I first read Isaac Asimov's Magical World of Fantasy: Faeries (edited by Isaac Asimov) I was in Hawaii.  We all know how I like my books to match my environment, and let me tell this book did NOT match at all. I had started it when I was still in Seattle, where it matched perfectly and continued to read it on the plane and then decided I may as well finish it, which gave me a weird, skewed memory of the whole experience...I know, I know I'm weird.  I have just finished rereading it, the lure of spring begging me to find some good tales of the Fair Folk and this anthology provides just that.  Here are my favorite stories in this collection.
How the Fairies Came to Ireland by Herminie Templeton - This story sets the tone for the book, with many of the story's being told in the old style of an oral history.  This little ditty of how fairies are angels that did not take sides in the war between Lucifer and God is told by the fairie king Brian Conner to Father Cassidy and reminds us that the line between religion and myth can be blurred.

The Manor of Roses by Thomas Burnett Swann - Epic tale, that is the best way I can think of to describe this story.  It tells of three children, each with their own stories that conflict and collide.  It tells of a kindly woman who misses her son.  It tells of a history.  It tells of the mandrake people.  It is a very well told tale that blends history, fantasy and story-telling.

The Ugly Unicorn by Jessica Amanda Salmonson - This is one of the few tales not set in Europe and is also one of my favorites in this book.  You get a sweet love story, a multitude of unicorns, miscommunication, a blind girl and of course fairies.  This story makes me smile every time I read it, and also reminds me how many other types of "fairies" their are in other countries and cultures.

Flying Pan by Robert F. Young - This is a quick and simple story.  The crux of the whole thing is a young woman's encounter with what she thinks to be a diminutive alien, who in fact turns out to be a local faerie trying to get her to return to her home.  Funny, quick and awesome.

The Long Night of Waiting by Andre Norton - I have been getting into Andre Norton lately and this haunting tale of lost children is one reason why.  It plays on the classic old fear of your children dissapering without a trace and adds an even more melancholy element of loss and fear on the part of the children.  A heart wrenching, yet wonderful story.
I like this anthology as a whole because it reads very old school to me, as in an oral history of actual events passed down.  There are some stories that take place in modern times (and even one in the future), but they are all told in a way that makes you feel as if you are sitting and listening to a history instead of reading a faerie tale.  I am glad I reread this anthology, the stories in it are classic and original and harken back to the true roots of the Fair Folk. Now I need to go find the rest of the books in this series.  I recommend this to anybody who wants to experience the true telling of tales, loves the Fair Folk, or just can't resist a good Irish accent.  I give it 7 out of 10 pots of gold.

How much does environment affect your memories of a particulate book?  Do you ever go back and reread books that you read in the wrong time or place?  Does a frying pan resemble a spaceship at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment