Thursday, February 6, 2014

Sochi

Wooohoooo it is time for one of my favorite events, the Winter Olympics to be held in Sochi, Russia.  As I have mentioned in previous posts watching the Olympics is a hard core ingrained tradition.  Starting tonight in between calls I will spend the next to weeks watching every little story, game, sport and controversy unfold.  I will revel in the togetherness of all the different countries, dismay at the idiots who use it to spout poisonous rhetoric and delight when the underdog wins.  This of course means my reading will probably slow down a bit as I use that time to watch my Olympians, but hey we all need our special things.  That being said there are several books that can help us better understand the current Olympics, Olympic history and the knowledge of the city the Olympics are being held in.
2014 Winter Olympics
A quick rundown on the history and current Olympics, complete with stories and pictures
History of the Winter Olympics
A history of the Winter Olympics...which is much shorter then the Summer Olympics
Sochi Travel Guide
Even if you are not there, you can pretend with the travel guide
Figure Skating
A guide to my favorite Winter Olympic sport, figure skating (it's harder then it looks)

Curling for Dummies
'Cause I know you want to know :-)
I hope this years Olympics are full of fun, competition and sportsmanship.  I hope the naysayers and the pot stirrers can see this as an event to promote peace, love and whacking each other with sticks (that what hockey is right?) I am very excited and if my posting is a bit spotty, just check to see what sport is on and when it will be over and then check back :-)  Happy Olympic Reading Everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment