Thursday, July 25, 2013

Big Dragons, Little Dragons

My nephews love dragons, my nephews are also very easily scared so trying to find a dragon book that was about dragons, but not scary, but not cartoonish because those are not "real" dragons was a bit of a challenge.
Lucky for me I already owned the perfect book Discovery of Dragons by Graeme Base.  I love this book as an adult because besides the absolutely amazing illustrations (which is totally worth it all by themselves), it is also hilarious.  It is broken into several sections, each dealing with a "discoverer of dragons" all of whom stumble upon these delightful beasts by some accidental means. The book is written in a research
journal/scrapbook like format with "letters" from the explorers, illustrations (make sure you look closely at the border illustrations, these are the funniest), and "scientific" data on each creature.  The dragons themselves range from the familiar type such as St. Georges Dragon, to the more unusual Livingston's Demon. For the boys I did not read every word since they would have gotten bored, but they LOVED the pictures and would ask a zillion questions about them as we went through the book.  I would recommend this beautiful, funny, intriguing picture book to anybody and everybody.

Will I ever get to old for picture books?  What is your favorite dragon?  How much do you love unexpected humor?

No comments:

Post a Comment