Thursday, May 23, 2013

Stages Of Reading

Just finished up another book last night (actually I finished two, but I am refusing to acknowledge one of them).  As I shut off my light and lay there thinking over the story I had just finished a thought occurred to me, my feelings for the book were already changing.  What is this I thought to myself, I loved the book...didn't I? Of course I did...except that one part, Oh and that thing that didn't really make any sense...hmmm...but I would not hesitate to recommend this book to almost anybody, what is going on?!?  That is when I realized that I go through a couple stages with almost every book I read (my Hubbin calls it over analyzing). These are based only on my personal experiences in reading, you will probably have your own unique stages.
Stage One-Anticipation (or Judging a book by its cover)
This is before you even read the first page.  It is the reason you picked up the book in the first place, an intriguing review, a cool cover, an interesting concept, a known author/series.  You make a basic judgement on what you think the book may be about, and start to form very basic opinions on what you  may or may not like about this book
Stage Two-The First Chapter (or Love/hate at first sight)
This is where your gut reaction kicks in, in the first chapter or so you start to get a feel for the tone and voice of the book.  This is very dangerous territory as one can very easily be seduced and start announcing this to be the most wonderful book in the world to anybody who will listen.  Or on the flip side one can start to hate the book, I have found that this is the point where most people give up on a book, which I personally find annoying as it is hard to really get into a story with just a chapter or two.
Stage Three-The Halfway Point (or I am so in love/already invested so many hours that I can't put it down/may as well finish it)
This is always an interesting point in my reading.  I am usually either so into the book that I am walking around with it in front of my face, taking every opportunity I can to sneak in a couple pages (most people read while cooking dinner right?).  Or I feel I have read this far I might as well finish it so I can at least write an honest rambling on it.  On occasion a book is bad, or just so insanely insulting that I devour it as quickly as possible just so I have as much fodder as possible for a really scathing rambling.  Around this time weather you love it, hate it, or eh it you start to think of things within the whole context of the story, plots, characters, and concepts should be fairly rounded out by now, your first flush of love/hate is over and your opinions may start to be tempered into something a bit less vehement.
Stage Four-The End (or That was the perfect ending/that was a stupid stupid way to end it/AH it's gonna be a stupid series/AH thank goodness it's gonna be an awesome series.)
The end of a book is always different for me. There have been a few times that I just did not want it to end, I actually felt a sense of loss that there were no more words in this wonderful piece of art ('cause to me that is what a great book is, a piece of art).  Sometimes I am just relived that the book is finished.  On occasion I have wanted to throw the book (or e-reader, not a good idea) across the room in frustration for such an unsatisfactory/stupid ending.  Other times I feel betrayed, either by an unknown continuation (doesn't count for books I know are going to be a series), or a complete reversal or ignoring of the whole rest of the book to try and wrap it all up in a neat package.  Needless to say, the end stage of a book is always the most harrowing for me.
Stage Five-The Review (or Going back and nit picking the crap out of what I just read and revising my opinions several times)
This is where you get to feel all superior and nit pick the book to death.  I admit, I am horrible when it comes to this, even my most favorite books in the whole entire world, ones that I still read over and over do not escape my incessant scrutiny.  This is when you have had a chance to distance yourself from some of the intense reactions you may have had.  You start to see where things did not quit add up, or an idea that didn't really make sense.  You may also find new levels of connection, and new meanings to characters and situations when looked at as a whole.  I'm sure if you have taken time to actually get through one of my gargantuan ramblings you have noticed that there are always things that I don't like in books.  Most of these are personal preference things, but it may seem like I don't like anything I read, this is not true, I truly enjoy the majority of books, I just can't help myself analyzing them to death.  This process I think is helpful in defining what you like and don't like about a reading experience, it makes it easier to sum up why a book had a certain impact on you.
Stage Six-The Verdict (or I can't wait to read it again/at least it will look nice on my shelf)
This is not a stage everybody goes through, but usually this where you (usually subconsciously) decide weather this book will be read again, and passed to friends and family with a fevered "You must read and love this book right now!" or if it gets quietly placed on a book shelf and rarely thought of again.  On a few rare occasions, this is the point where a new book gets added to my Most Beloved Books of All Time list or I Hate That Book With the Fire of a Thousand Suns list.  These are not extensive lists and when a book goes on them it is because of the enduring extreme love/hate that it has inspired in me.
What are your reading stages?  Do any of these sound familiar to you?  How crazy am I that I not only over analyze my reading, but then analyze my over analyzing?

No comments:

Post a Comment