Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Resisting Rubbernecking

So I have a confession...sometimes I love a really bad book.  Whew I'm glad I got that out there in the open.  Seriously though, for some strange reason when I start seeing books that are all one star, especially for a supposedly controversial reason, I just can't help but take a peek.  Of course if I can even finish the book I am usually irate and upset over the sheer badness of the book...which of course is my own fault for purposely picking it up in the first place. I've been trying to stay away from these train wrecks, I just have such a huge pile of potentially good books to read that I need to quit wasting time on books that have a 99% chance of being horrible.  Every once in a while though, I just can't resist, I see the reviews (or even better dueling reviews that both lambaste and praise to high heaven) and I think to myself there is no way a book can be that bad, nobody in there right mind would write about that, or in that manner.  Wrong, as soon as I pick it up I can feel my blood pressure rising :-)  I try not to review these books, because it is kind of not fair to pick up a book that you know you are going to hate and then go looking for even more ways to hate it, but on occasion I will make a few exceptions.  If I personally believe the book has harmful messages I might say something, if the book is popular I might read it and review it, even if I know I will probably not like it (part of my no whining unless you've read it policy), or if it was just so deliciously bad that I have to share it with the world.  There now you all know my dirty little reading secret...whats yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment