Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Poe Bowl


So I missed posting again yesterday (hanging head in shame), but I had a good excuse, I was recovering from watching my Ravens WIN THE SUPERBOWL!!!!!!  We couldn't make to New Orleans to watch in person, so we did the next best thing and went to Baltimore and watched with all of the fans there, had an amazing time. Hubbin and I stayed the night in room overlooking the Harbor, perfection.  Baltimore is also home to one of America's great authors Edgar Allan Poe
This man is one of the most recognizable writers in history, who's books and poems are a staple in many a high school classroom.  His mix of drama, suspense and imagery keeps his writings stuck in your head long after you have read them. I still remember reading The Fall of the House of Usher for the first time, every little detail driving you relentlessly to the tragic and almost foreseeable end.   He is also the inspiration for many a tale here in modern times as well, including the new TV show The Following in which a serial killer, bases his cult of killing on the life and works of Poe.
The Raven
Of course the perfect book to sum up both my Poe experience and my Superbowl experience is The Raven, which may be just about as suspenseful as that game!

Who were you rooting for in the big game?  Are one of those people who only watches for the commercials?  How cool is it that I can combine my love for the Ravens and my love for Poe in one trip?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment