Thursday, February 7, 2013

Hubbin's Faves

It's Valentines week, blech, that time of year where everybody gets all sappy and starry-eyed (if you have a significant other) or all sappy and depressed (if you are one of the single folk), not my favorite time of year.  So today I have decided to focus on some of the favorites of my favorite loved one, in a suitably non sappy, non romantic, non heart and lacey manner.  One of the many things I like about my Hubbin is his diverse tastes, here is a sampling of his favorite books in all of their unrelated glory.
The Phantom Tollbooth
The Phantom Tollbooth- This was one of his favorite books growing up, and is one of the first books we give each of our nephews. It's a great book full of awesome words and imagery and is suitable for any age group, gender, or pretty much anybody at all.

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
Freakonomics-This book appeals to my Hubbin's love of the economy and all the factors that go into it.  The big surprise is that this book is highly readable.  It makes some really strange, yet compelling arguments about various things that affect our current economy.  It is thought provoking, and entertaining all at the same time, plus you sound really smart when you tell people you've read it.
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
World War Z-Anybody who knows my Hubbin, knows that he loves, nay is obsessed with zombies.  The guy has watched every single zombie movie on Netflix (even the ones rated less than one star) and has now moved on to books.  He actually listened to this one in the car and really enjoyed it.  I found it quit enjoyable as well, it is more of a look at the impact of zombies on the world as seen through the eyes of different types of people all over the world then it is about blood and guts...though there is plenty of that too.
Atlas Shrugged
Atlas Shrugged-I have to admit I could not get through this book and I have given it several tries!  Hubbin on the other hand blitzed through it and enjoyed a lot of what the author had to say.  We have had many a discussion on how the time period this was written in may have influenced the author, the plausibility of the plot, the way each of the characters are driven, makes for some great conversation.  
Ender's Game (Ender Wiggin Series #1)
Ender's Game-I read this one to him over several long car rides.  I thought he might enjoy it for the different questions it poses and since he was in the military I was interested to see his take on it.  I think this is a book everybody should read at some point as it poses many basic questions about life, and humanity that are forever present, no matter the time, place, or event.

So that is it, my Hubbins top five books.  I love how different each book on this list is, I think it does capture the complex creature that is my partner to a small degree.  Mostly I just love the fact that he knows how to enjoy a good book :-)  Love ya Hubbin!

No comments:

Post a Comment