Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Short and Sweet

As mentioned in a previous post I love a good short story.  As I look around I realize I have them everywhere, my desk, in my backpack, in my magic traveling bag (that is my purse substitute) at the fire station, in my bathrooms, in the car, in the truck, pretty much anywhere I might have a few spare minutes to devour a story.  After reading so many collections I thought I would share with you some of my favorites.

The Faery Reel: Tales From the Twilight Realm- This is my ultimate short story collection, I have read it numerous times and tell some of these stories to my nephews.  Contrary to the title this has nothing to do with glittering vampires and lovelorn werewolves :-)  These are some of the most incredible, imaginative, magical stories I have ever read.  They are based all over the world, using every type of creature out there in every setting and time period possible.  If you like fantasy even a little bit, or like me love a story that takes you far far away then get this book because it is chock full of amazingness. I guarantee there is a story in here for everyone.  The only down side to this one is it is sometimes hard to find, online is probably your best bet.

The Green Man: Tales From the Mythic Forest- Another collection from Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling.  These stories are all set in a nature type setting...which does not always mean your typical elfin forest.  Again the stories are varied and the different authors really use every ounce of imagination in dealing with what could be a very stereotypical theme.  The stories in here tend to be a bit more deep and calming then some other short stories I've read.  I really really love this one.


Firebirds, and Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction- Both of these books were great, they are different from a lot of collections because they include both scifi and fantasy.  These stories are aimed at the young adult crowd, but even someone who..ahem...may not be quit that young of an adult any more will still really enjoy these stories.  The mix is great, and the combination of genres keeps things moving pretty well. Both book were equally enjoyable which makes them that much better.

Sherlock Holmes-What you say, Sherlock Holmes is a classic, a tale for the ages!  All true, also the majority of Sherlock Holmes is short stories.  I am totally hooked on these little mysteries.  It's a nice change of pace from the mostly fantasy short stories I read, and it's fun to see if I can figure out the mystery in my little lunch break.  Anybody who wants to read a classic, but doesn't have the patients for some of the tomes out there should get into these nifty little stories.


I have read many, many, many short story collection many of them very good, but the above are ones I would recommend to everybody, weather they are into the genre or not.

What is your favorite short story collection?  Do you like them short and sweet, or do you prefer a more fleshed out story?  What authors have you been inspired to pick up because of a short story?  Have you ever stayed in the bathroom a tad longer then necessary to finish up that story?


No comments:

Post a Comment