Friday, March 2, 2012

The Great Dr. Seuss!

Today is the birthday of a great author, one who has inspired millions of children and adults.  The man I am talking about of course is the great Theodor Geisel better known as Dr. Seuss.  I don't know anybody who does not have fond memories of at least one of Dr. Seuss's classics and I know how excited I when I was finally able to read those tongue twisters for myself.  Now that I am a big girl and have done some research I have found it quit fascinating to discover how political this famed children's author was.  I have been lucky enough to see some of his artwork that is intended for adults and it is just as twisty as the stuff for kids :-) Here are just a few of my personal favorites.

Oh The Places You'll Go!
"Congratulations! Today is your day. You're off to Great Places. You're off and away!"
This is probably one of my personal favorites there are just so many places to see!
"Unless someone like you...cares a whole awful lot...nothing is going to get better...It's not."
This is Hubbins favorite with good reason.
"I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam I Am"
Had this book memorized by age four...think I can still do the whole thing from memory!
"Oh me oh my, oh me oh my what a lot of funny things go by"
How many fish are there? 1, 3, 4, 5?
"Wet foot, dry foot. Low foot, high foot..."
My nephews LOVE this one, spent many happy hours with it.
"Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!"
Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

What is your favorite Dr. Seuss book?  Who had the best voices to read these wacky rhymes?  Is it sad that as a person over the age of 7 I have a whole shelf dedicated to these books?

No comments:

Post a Comment